Built in 1914 by Fleming and Ferguson in Paisley Scotland as the Sir William Matthews, she was a twin screwed steam bucket dredge with an overall length of 230ft a beam of 44ft and a draught of 17ft. She displaced 1380 tons. She was purchased by the Melbourne Harbour trust on October 10 1941 and after an extensive refit she was renamed the TSS George Kermode and was used to dredge the Port of Melbourne. She was scuttled on the 1 April 1976 as an artificial reef off Phillip Island.
She now lies upside down in 20 meters of water rising up to 12 meters at the highest point. A fantastic wreck dive, she is fairly well intact with lots of penetration.
There is an abundance of fish life, especially in the engine room.
Water type: SaltWater Temperature: 10-20CCertification: OWDepth: 20M